That is the question that's been on my mind today. Without a doubt Emma's poor little butt and tummy have been on a roller coaster ride the last few weeks. Since Emma has decided to be an unbelievably picky eater, it's no surprise that she's been dealing with constipation for some time. But once we started her on whole milk, the problem took a turn for the worse. She'd strain all day long and nothing. It got to the point where I'd be giving Emma suppositories on a regular basis just to make her go. And I can understand why she didn't...I won't go into the specifics, but let's just say her poor little butt couldn't take it anymore.
So off to the doctor's we went (which thanks to many visits she hates!) and they suggested I put her on a half a teaspoon of laxative once a day to see what happens. A week passes and nothing...Mommy still has to use the suppositories and Emma isn't too happy about diaper changes anymore. Fortunately I tried giving her some apple/prune juice for a few days and she suddenly realizes she loves it....but still nothing new happening.
I called the doctor again and they said just keep trying and see what happens. That same day, Emma went about 5 times! I couldn't stop her from going. The last 2 days, it's been like a floodgate and now I'm a little worried. Yes, I'm definitely happy she's going on her own...but like this? This cannot be healthy. I don't know which is worse...pooping or not?
So I called the doctor again today (after 3 consecutive bombs in her diaper) and I figured that now that she's drinking the apple/prune juice that maybe that combined with the laxative is overkill on her poor tummy. The nurse agreed, after filling me in on her first hand experience with her daughter. So no more laxative for Emma. Hopefully the juice will replace what she's not eating to make her go until I can get her to eat her fruits and veggies! She can't stand anything that's gushy (I wonder where she gets that from?). She sure loves Oreo cookies though!




3 comments:
Awww...poor Emma! She just can't catch a break can she? Well...at least the juice is working and hopefully in time she will start to like fruits and veggies too. But while she is feeling yucky, I say give her all the Oreos she wants. They always make me feel better :-)
Hey Heather! Funny post...love your "bomb" comment...sorry to hear about Emma...poor thing. Did the Dr. mention that she could be allergic to milk...this is quite common....you could always try rice milk or soy milk. - Jay
We had her allergy tested and she doesn't have any...I think it's the fact that she won't eat any fruit, aside from the baby food. So far she's been doing okay with the prune juice though.
Post a Comment