Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Emma's First Day of Preschool and Sam's 15 Months!

Emma's first day of preschool yesterday went...okay.

She got up and was excited to go but, we had some clothing issues. Let's just say I had to wrestle them on her because there was no time for negotiations. And once she was dressed, she was fine.

She even posed for a first day picture.



Daddy and Samantha came with us as well. She did great doing all the things she's supposed to when she comes in the morning: finding her name tag, putting her velcro name on the board for attendance, and checking her mailbox. We walked around the classroom for awhile, just to ease her into it.

Then we joined some of the kids at the play dough table until it was time for school to start. I told her to give Daddy a kiss out in the hall and then we'd come back in together, her and I. After a minute or so back in the room I said, "Give me a kiss." She said, "Why?" I said, "Well I have to go now, but you're going to have so much fun and I'll be back in a little bit to see you." She gave me a little pause and then said, "Okay." She kissed me, went back to playing and I left the room while she was still occupied.

Justin and I were walking down the hall and we both commented how easy that was. Then I heard a very familiar scream/cry. I knew it was her. Justin of course didn't hear a thing, but I could hear it and I knew it was her. I didn't go back, because I knew that'd make it worse, but I hoped she'd get over it quickly and be okay.

Sam and I had a blast playing for two hours straight. No fighting over toys, no pushing, just quietness. It was...weird but very nice.

Before long it was time to pick Emma up. While we waited for the kids, I asked one of the mother's if they heard of anyone crying. One said yes there was someone crying. I said, "A girl with a black and white striped shirt on?" The mom says, "Oh yeah. She was screaming pretty loud." I knew it was her.

She seemed happy when I picked her up. She told me how preschool went and said she had fun. The teacher said she was attached to her for a bit, but then was okay to play with the other kids.

Here she is at pick-up.


The rest of the day she voiced many things to me about her traumatic experience: "Mom, don't you ever do that to me again...leave me at preschool." "I'm not going to ever let you go Mom." "Mom when I cried my heart stopped and hurt."

Thursday's going to be horrible.

On a lighter note, Samantha's 15 month appointment was today. Of course the crying with her began the minute she was weighed and measured. She is such a long and lean little girl! 97% for height at 33 inches and a mere 25% for weight at 21 pounds 10 ounces. She hasn't even gained a full pound since her 12 month appointment. And I'm shocked but she's an inch taller than Emma was at this age.

The doctor said everything else looked great developmentally and I'd be back at 18 months. A few pokes and we were out of there. Emma was such a good helper with her, even though she's got a little cold herself.


As for me, I'm trying to emotionally prepare for preschool drop off tomorrow. Just put Emma to bed and she's already getting teary eyed about it. If she freaks while I'm trying to leave I know I'm going to have to fight back tears. It's going to be hard...

0 comments: