Thursday, January 13, 2011

Preschool

On Tuesday this week, we received a letter from St. John's Lutheran Church (the church where both girls were baptized) informing us that they were beginning enrollment for 3 and 4 year old preschool for the 2011-2012 school year.

To be quite honest, I never really gave preschool a thought. I never went as a child and I thought, hey, I'm a teacher. I can work with Emma at home. Plus, in per selfishness, I wanted to keep her at home with me for as long as I could before Kindergarten began.

However...
the reality is a) Emma is very stubborn and strong willed. If she doesn't want to work on something with me, like numbers or a difficult puzzle, she's not going to. To her, I'm just her Mom and the novelty of me is wearing off.

And b) Now having two children, I'm realizing it's difficult to give Emma the kind of attention she craves and needs to flourish. She's smart and at times bored at home...and that leads to mischievousness instead of success. There are times in the day that are just idle for her. She needs to be challenged.

So, I called St. John's and they gave us the opportunity to come and see what it's all about. Emma, Sam and I bundled up and took the 2 minute drive down the road.

I was impressed. Emma was so polite and talkative with the director. She called her Miss Tracy and answered all her questions and even told her a few stories of her own. Miss Tracy took us to the Preschool and Kindergarten area of the school and showed Emma where she'd put her coat and backpack. Then we got to actually go in the classroom. Not only did we just observe what was going on, Emma got to participate!

Miss Tracy took Emma around the room while I spoke with the teacher. The teacher told me about the daily activities, field trips, and things she'd be learning in both 3 and 4 year old preschool. We were talking for quite awhile (all the while Sam just cooed in her stroller and watched all the kids, who loved her as well I might add) when I realized I hadn't heard a peep from Emma. She was in HEAVEN. She was hanging around with two little girls and a boy, checking out the book loft, playing in the kitchen, checking out the snow-themed centers, and just having a blast.

It became evident to me that Emma needed this. She was in her environment and seeing her so excited made me excited for her. She deserves this opportunity from us.

So after saying goodbye to her new friends, we went to talk more with the director and headed out.

There are still a few other preschools I'd like to check out, such as the Rochester Public School's program, and another in the area, just to compare. However, I know for certain, that she will be attending some type of preschool next year.

I know Emma can't wait to start! We're so excited for her! And it's crazy to think that Samantha won't be too far behind!

0 comments: